Aloha from Lecture Hall 06


Isn't this the most frightening sight you've ever seen? That's right, it's a typical Germany university lecture hall - a little bit ratty, concrete everywhere, no windows, a box in a building of boxes. This is where I spent much of my life when I studied (in Munich) and it's where professors still spend most of their lives. A nightmare...

And the perfect spot for a pseudo-academic lecture about the "Aesthetics of Nagging."

For my book "Planet Germany" I wrote a pseudo-scientific treatise on that subject and sent it off to 20 universities with the request that they install a new professorship for the Aesthetics of Nagging at their institute with me as its head. Of the 20, I got 5 replies back, and of those, 3 were funny.

Of those three, one - the Frankfurt University - invited me to give an open lecture on the foundations of the aesthetics of nagging, which I did Thursday (Feb. 1). It was the best public performance I have given so far. The lecture hall - Hall 06 of the philological faculty (FB09) - was full (this photo was taken as we began setting up), everyone was in the mood for laughing at themselves and when, at the end of my lecture, I repeatedly demanded of the dean (professor Vossen) that he install a professorship for me, everyone broke out into applause.

Didn't help, though - I still don't have one.

But for a guy like me, who was not necessarily the best student, and who only made it to his Master's (in Munich), it was quite a thrill to be able to give an scholarly lecture in one of the same rooms that had tortured me all my student life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIE WACHABLÖSUNG